Google Search   www Indo Vacations      

 About Goa

  Goa Cuisine
  Goa Dances
  Goa Festivals
  Goa History
  Goa Museums
  Goa People

 Goa Adventure
 ▪ Goa Sports
 ▪ Activities in Goa
 Goa Crafts
 ▪ Goa Crafts
 ▪ Shopping in Goa
 Goa Forts
 ▪ Goa Forts
 Goa Pilgrimage
 ▪ Goa Churches
 ▪ Goa Pilgrimage
 Goa Wildlife
 ▪ Goa Wildlife
 ▪ Goa Wildlife Sanctuaries
 Goa Beaches
 ▪ Anjuna Beach
 ▪ Bogmalo Beach
 ▪ Calangute and Baga Beach
 ▪ Candolim and Sinquerim Beach

View all ››

 Goa Tours
 ▪ Deccan India Tour
 ▪ Goa Beach Tour
 ▪ Wildlife with Goa Tour
 ▪ Golden Triangle with Goa Tour
 Goa Cities
 ▪ Mapusa
 ▪ Margao
 ▪ Old Goa
 ▪ Panaji

View all ››

 Goa Journal Information
 ▪ Flea Markets, Night bazaars, Club
 ▪ Important Contacts in  Goa
 ▪ Places of Interest in Goa
  Natural Flora Fauna in Goa
 ▪ Water Sports in Goa
 ▪ Worship Place in Goa

Goa, Goa Tour

Old Goa Attractions

Tourist Attractions in Old Goa
The main tourist attractions in Old Goa are the churches. Some famous churches in the Old Goa are Se Cathedral, Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary Manueline, Church Of St. Augustine, Church and Convent Of St. Monica, Basilica of Bom (the Good) Jesus, Convent & Church Of St Francis Of Assisi, Church Of St. Cajetan, Arch of the Viceroys, Gate of the Fortress of the Adil Shah.

Se Cathedral
Construction of the Se de Santa Catarina, the largest church in Old Goa, began in 1562 and though the building was completed by 1619, the altars were not finished until 1652. The building’s style is Portuguese-Gothic with a Tuscan exterior and Corinthian interior. The remaining tower houses a famous bell, often called the Golden Bell because of its rich sound. The main altar is dedicated to St Catherine of

Se Cathedral, Goa

Alexandria, and paintings on either side of it depict scenes from her life and martyrdom.

Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary Manueline
The Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary belongs to the earliest period of church building and is described as Manueline. At the time of the conquest of Goa, Portugal was enjoying a period of prosperity under King Manuel (1495-1521), hence the church is known as the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary Manueline. The architectural style that evolved borrowed from Iberian decoration, but also included many local naturalistic motifs as well as Islamic elements, seen on the marble cenotaph owing to the Hindu and Muslim craftsmen employed. The church here has a two storey entrance, a single tower and low flanking turrets. From this site Albuquerque directed the battle against the Adil Shahi forces in 1510.

Royal Chapel of St. Anthony

St. Anthony was the national saint of Portugal. The Royal Chapel of St. Anthony was restored by the Portuguese Government in 1961.

Church Of St. Augustine

The Church Of St. Augustine is now in ruins, except the enormous 46 m tower that served as a belfry and formed part of the façade. The church, which once boasted eight chapels, and convent was constructed in 1602 by Augustinian friars, but abandoned in 1835 due to repressive policies of the Portuguese government, which resulted in the eviction of many religious orders from Goa. The church vault was collapsed in 1842 burying the image, followed by the façade and main tower in 1931.

Church and Convent Of St. Monica

The Convent of St. Monica is the biggest church in East Asia. This huge square laterite building is three storeys high and was built around a sunken central courtyard which contained a formal garden. The construction of this building was completed in 1627, only to burn down nine years later. Reconstruction started the following year, and it’s from this time that the buildings date. The church is in the southern part of the building. At one time it enjoyed the status of Royal Monastery, now it is the Mater Dei Institute for Nuns founded in 1964 for theological studies. Within the convent, the excellent Museum of Christina Art contains statuary, paintings and sculptures transferred here from the Rachol Seminary. Many of the works Goan Christina art during the Portuguese era were produced by local Hindu artists.

The Basilica of Bom (the Good) Jesus
The world famous church or Basilica of Bom Jesus contains the tomb and mortal remains of body of St. Francis Xavier, a former pupil of the soldier turned saint, Ignatius Loyola, the founder of the Order of Jesuits. In 1541, St. Francis Xavier, was given the task of spreading Christianity among the subjects of the Portuguese colonies in the East. St Francis Xavier embarked on missionary voyages that became legendary and, considering the state of transport at the time, were nothing short of miraculous. This basilica is famous throughout the Roman Catholic world. The focus of the church is the three-tired marble tomb of St Francis. His remains are housed in a silver casket, which at one time was covered in jewels. The Jesuits began work on the their own church in 1594. By 1605 it was finished and consecrated. In 1613 the body of St Francis was

Basilica of Bom Jesus Goa

brought there from the College of St Paul. It was  moved into the church in 1624 and its present chapel in 1655 where it has remained ever since. St Francis was canonized by Pope Gregory XV in 1622 and in 1964 Pope Pius XII raised the church to a minor basilica. The order of Jesuits was suppressed in 1759 and its property confiscated by the state. The church, however, was allowed to continue services. The church is not white like all the others in Goa. It was originally lime plastered but this was recently removed to reveal the laterite base. The granite decorative elements which have always been unadorned. The façade is the richest in Goa and also the least Goan in character. There are no flanking towers. It appears that the church was modeled on the earlier but now destroyed church of St. Paul which in turn was based on the Gesu, the mother church in Rome. There is only one tower in the building and that is placed at the east end, giving it a more Italian look. On the pediment of the façade is a tablet with I.H.S. (Jesus in Greek or Laeus Hominum Salvator). Apart from the elaborate gilded altars, and the twisted Bernini columns, the interior of the church is very simple. The Tomb of St Francis Xavier (1696) was the gift of one of the last of the Medicis, Cosimo Ill, the Grand Duke of Tuscany, and was carved by the Florentine sculptor Giovanni Batista Foggini. It took ten years to complete. It comprises three tiers of marble and jasper, the upper tier having panels depicting scenes from the saint’s life. The casket containing his remains is silver and has three locks, the keys being held by the Governor, Archbishop and Convent Administrator. Every 10 years on the anniversary of the saint’s death the holy relics are displayed to the public. The body of St Francis has suffered much over the years and has been gradually reduced by the removal of various parts. One female devotee is reputed to have bitten off a toe and carried it away in her mouth to Lisbon where is still supposed to be kept by her family. In 1890 another toe fell off and is displayed in the Sacristy. Part of the arm was sent to Rome in 1615 where it is idolized in the Gesu. Part of the right hand was sent to Japan in 1619.

The house for Jesuit fathers
Next to the church connected with it is the house for Jesuit fathers, a handsome two storey building with a typically Mediterranean open courtyard garden. It is also built of plaster-coated laterite, and was built in 1589 despite much local opposition to the Jesuits. There was a fire in 1633 and it was only partially rebuilt. It now houses a few Jesuit fathers who run a small college. There is a modern art gallery next to the church.

The Inquisition in Goa

In the Palace of the Inquisition, is the splendid hall that once existed, and where over 16,000 cases were heard between 1561 and 1774. The Inquisition was finally suppressed in 1814. Beneath the hall were dungeons.

Convent & Church of St Francis of Assisi

The Church of St. Francis of Assisi is one of the most interesting buildings in Old Goa. The Church and Convent of St Francis of Assisi is a broad vault of a church with two octagonal towers, beautifully lit by the sun. The church interior contains gilded and carved woodwork, and a floor made of carved gravestones – complete with family coast of arms dating back to the early 16th century. The walls around the High Altar are decorated with paintings on wood depicting scenes from St.

Church of St. Francis of Assisi Goa

Francis life. The church was built by eight Franciscan friars who arrived here in 1517 and constructed a small chapel, which was later pulled down and the present building was constructed on the same spot in 1661 and later restored in 1762-5. The style is Portuguese Gothic. The convent now houses the Archaeological Museum, which has an impressive range of stone sculptures from different ages in Goa’s history and some portraits of former Viceroys.

Church Of St. Cajetan
Convent and Church of St Catejan was built by Italian Friars of the Theatine order who were sent to India by Pope Urban III to preach Christianity in the kingdom of Golconda (near Hyderabad). This church is modeled on the original design of St Peter’s in Rome and shaped like a Greek cross. The friars were not permitted to work in Golconda, so settled at Old Goa in 1640. The construction of the church began in 1655.

The Arch of the Viceroys

The Arch of the Viceroys (Ribeira dos Viceroys) was built at the end of the 16th century to commemorate the centenary of Vasco da Gama’s discovery of the sea route to India. His grandson, Francisco da Gama was Viceroy (1597-160). On the arrival of each new viceroy this would be decorated. The ornamentation includes a statue of Vasco da Gama. The arch was rebuilt in 1954.

Gate of the Fortress of the Adil Shahs

The Gate of the Fortress of the Adil Shah's comprises of a lintel supported on moulded pillars mounted on a plinth and was probably built by Sabaji, Hindu ruler of Goa before the Muslim conquest of 1471. The now ruined palace was occupied by Adil Shahi sultans of Bijaipur who occupied Goa before the arrival of the Portuguese in 1510. It then became the Palace of the Viceroys from 1554 to 1695.

Pilar Seminary

The Pilar Seminary is in the village of Velha Goa, 2 km inland. This ancient institution was founded in 1613 and was sited on the top of a hill over a Siva temple, Relics of a headless Nandi Bull and a rock carving of a Naga serpent were found.


Home    |    About Us      FAQ    |    Site Map    |    Contact Us

Copyright ©, Indo Vacations®. All Rights Reserved.