the total area covered by wildlife is approximately 90,000
square km and constitutes 3 per cent of the country’s land
area. India is a paradise for bird-watchers and wildlife
enthusiasts. Deciduous forests, desert plains, grasslands,
wetlands and coastal and marine locations have made India one
of the most pleasant place for bird watching and wildlife
As a result of the Project Tiger, there has been a tremendous
increase in the number of tigers. It covers 23 National Parks
and Sanctuaries. Some of the popular Project Tiger Reserves in
India are the Kanha National Park, Corbett National Park,
Ranthambore National Park, Dudhwa National Park and
Bandhavgarh National Park. Each one of these wildlife
sanctuary is home of rare animals, birds, reptiles, insects
Things to remember while visiting Wildlife Sanctuaries in
1. The best time to visit the wildlife sanctuaries is from
October to March.
2. The best time to watch wildlife is in the early morning or
3. Binoculars, Cameras, Measuring tape, notebook, etc. are the
various things that you can carry on your visit.
4. Avoid heavy footwear and clothes that hinder easy movement.
Ideally wear colours that match with the surroundings. Dress
in Khaki, or brown or olive green to merge with the
5. Maintain silence while you are in the sanctuary. Avoid
radios, transistors and music in the jungle. It disturbs the
6. Do not run when you see the bigger animals. Usually an
animal sight us before we see it and moves away.
7. Do not smoke or wear perfumes on your visit.
8. Do not go very close to carnivores. Dangerous animals
should not be approached on foot.
9. Be alert at all times.
10. Do not litter the sanctuaries and surroundings.
11. Avoid pollution of air, soil or water.
12. You can also use the services of a local guide /
Naturalist to take you around and to explain about the various