old town of Tehri lies at the confluence of the Bhagirathi and
Bhilangna rivers, the site of the Tehri dam. In the eighteenth
century the ships of the East India Company would call at the
port city of Tehri. The town of Tehri was evacuated to make
space for the Tehri dam and the population has been shifted to
the town of New Tehri. The town is famous as the site of
protests against the dam by Sundarlal Bahuguna and his followers
during the Chipko movement.
Tehri was the capital of the princely state of Tehri Garhwal
(Garhwal Kingdom) in British India which had an area of 10,800
km2 and a population of 268,885 in 1901. It adjoined the
district of Garhwal, and its topographical features are similar.
It contains the sources of both the Ganges and the Yamuna, which
are visited by thousands of Hindu pilgrims. The location of
Tehri Dam, which is Asia's largest man made lake has totally
submerged the old tehri town and now headquarter of tehri
district is known as New Tehri. This lake is 260 meters deep and
have potential to produce 2400 MW electricity along with great
importance for North India which provides great volume of water
for cultivation and for daily use. This lake is now becomes a
great tourist destination in fact the view from New Tehri of
this lake is amazing.