The Pondicherry museum is situated in the Government Park. The Pondicherry Museum is home to some of the most exquisite collections on architecture and sculpture. This museum has a good sculpture gallery and a section of archaeological finds from the Roman settlement at
Arikamedu. There is also a French section which tells about the history of the colony. There is also a superb collection of snail shells from the Pondicherry
The magnificent white monument at the lush Government
Park in the heart of city is the most recognizable monument of Pondichery. It was built in 16th century in Greco –
Roman architecutal style during the reign of Napoleon III – the emperor of France and commemorates a 16th century courtesan
named Aayi. The Government Park in (Bharati
Park) is also noted for its lush green lawns, flower
beds, fountains and fine sculptures. It is surrounded by
many stately buildings like-Raj Nivas, the Museum, Pondicherry
Art Gallery etc.
The fine memorial on the
Goubert Avenue (Beach Road) was erected in the honour of the soliers who laid
their lives during the First World War. It is beautifully illuminated during
the annual commemoration held on Bastille Day, the 14th of July.
Bharti and Bharthidasan Memorial Museum
Bharti Museum is located at Eswaran Koil Street, the place where the legendary Tamil poet lived after arriving here in 1908 in search of refuge. Bharthidasan Memorial Museum is situated at Perumal Koil Street where
Kanakasubburatnam, a disciple of Bharti, lived. He changed his name to
Bharthidasan, meaning the disciple of Bharti, and his home is now the second important place of literary pilgrimage in
Auroville is situated just across the border in the state of Tamil
Nadu, about 10 km away from Pondicherry. The place is also known as 'City of Dawn,' and was founded in 1968 as a tribute to Sri
Aurobindo. It is a lush green cover created over 25 years by sheer hard work and dedication. The place is spread over 50 square km and has a population of over 900. The Mata Mandir situated in the centre of the town is the spiritual centre with a 30
meter high globe with lotus-shaped foundation urn.
Statues of Francois Dupleix, the French Governor
were commissioned in Pondicherry as well as in France in honour of this able
administrator in 1870.
The imposing light house near the sea at the
Place du Government, was first lighted on 1 july, 1836. the light house was abandoned after the
commissioning of the new light house in 1979.
The small museum near the old Lighthouse exhibits 130 dolls,
representing different states of India.
The beautiful garden was planned and laid out in 1826, by
C.S. Perrotet. It has a rich and varied collection of plant species not only
from different parts of India but abroad as well. There is also an aquarium here.
The beautiful 1.5 kms. Long beach
is idally suited for relaxation, sunbathing and swimming. The sea front is
graced by an impressive statue of Mahatma Gandhi set amidst eight exquisitely
carved pillars and wonderful War Memorial.
Our Lady of Immaculate Conception
The magnificent building was built in 1791, at
the site of a former church at Cathedra Street. It is a fine example of medieval architecture and is
noted for it imposing entrance and majestic interiors.
Sri Manakula Vinayakar
The famous 18th century shrine of
Lord Ganesha is located just behind the Raj Bhavan. The presiding deity is also
referred as Vellakkaran (White Man) Pillai (Ganesha). It is said that a
Frenchman residing near the shrine desperately tried to remove the idol of the
deity from here. But, the idol kept on reappearing miraculously and convinced
by the prowess of the deity, the Frenchman became a devotee of the Lord. The
temple walls are adorned with forty fabulous friezes in honour of Lord Ganesh.
Other important shrines are – Varadaraja Perumal Temple and Vedapureeswarar Temple.
The archaeological site about 4 kms. South of
Pondicherry reveals the ancient history of the region. Excavationson the right
bank of the river Ariyankuppam reveal that a port town flourished here about
2,000 years ago. It had trade links with and Greece as early as 2nd century B.C. and Roman
settlements are said to have existed here. Textiles, precious stones and shell
jewellery were the main items for export, while wine is thought to be imported.
Ruins of an 18th century French Jesuit Mission House can also be
Paradise Beach, Chaunnambar
The Picturesque beach lies near the mouth of the backwaters,
along the Cuddalore Main Road.
It is a perfect place for a leisurely holiday and beach sports. The Pondicherry
Tourism (PTTDC) runs Chunnambar Beach and Backwater Resort and provides facilities for boating, backwaters boat
tours, trekking, beach sports and picnics etc. the famous multicuisine
restaurant – Seagulls is located near the Backwaters.